Sunday, October 13, 2013

When Stuck, Just Listen!!

   I was at a scouting high adventure camp a couple of summers ago. In this particular camp there was a infamous rock face about 100 ft. tall. No one could climb it. I was standing in line to give it a shot. Boy after boy would get strapped in and ready to go, just to come back in a couple minutes scratched, bleeding, and defeated. Not a single one had made it.
   Now it was my turn. I was nervous but up to the challenge. I got all hooked up and ready to go. I checked with the person the was on the other side of the rope to make sure he was ready. My life was in his hands. As  I took a step back to look at where to go, I noticed there were two routes most commonly taken. One was just a strait shot all the way to the top, this was the harder and less traveled one. The other was easier but would take you off to one side. Being that far over was a risk, if you fell, you would swing back to the middle getting battered and bruised in the process. I figured that I could take the easy route and then cross to the middle and reach the top from there.
   I set off. It was easy at first but every foot I went up, I got further from the middle putting myself in greater risk. The only comfort I had was knowing that I was strapped in. I knew that if I fell I would get cut up and would be hurt, but I would still have my life. The person on the other side of the rope would catch me. At least I was praying that he would. I finally got to the point where I wanted to cut across. My arms were burning! There wasn't as many had holds as I had assumed. Fear was seeping in and I couldn't help but begin shaking. I was on a edge about 60 ft. up, trying to hold on for dear life. Now my dad was at the bottom talking me through it. He could see all that I couldn't. He would tell me where to put my hands so that I could make it safety to the center. I really had to trust him. There were some times that I thought I'd know better. As I would go on and not listen, I would find myself in a tricky situation that my dad would have to work me out of it. I did as he directed. Even with his help there were times that I wanted to give up. It isn't worth it I would tell myself. My dad was far below, but I could hear his comforting voice assuring me that I could make it. It was hard but I made it to the center and finished the climb from there with his guidance. None of the other boys had the help from below.
   When I got back to the bottom, my dad hugged me. He told me how proud he was of me and congratulated me on my endurance. I still remember the look in his eyes; so loving and so proud. He was glowing with pride. I felt his love so strong.
   The person that was currently working there said that so many boys would get close and give up, not knowing how close they really were. They couldn't see the end and neither could I. It was only through the help of my dad that I made it.
   In our lives, we can't expect to make it with out our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. Just as I had faith that the person on the other end of the rope would catch me, we need to have faith that Jesus can catch us through his Atonement. Heavenly Father is there. Always guiding us and helping us to take the right steps. If we don't trust Him, we can slip and get hurt but we will still have our lives. Jesus will catch us and then we can try again. No matter how many times we slip Jesus will be there to catch us if we fall.

2 comments:

  1. Great analogy, Elder Youngstrom. We sure enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey elder youngstrom. It is easy to tell you have the spirit with you. Your messages are inspiring and true! Thanks for your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete