Saturday, September 21, 2013

Prayer, The Only Relief

   Going through high school as a senior was no small task for me. I had such a crazy schedule, I was scaring the color right out of my hair. Between cheer, college credit classes, gymnastics, coaching, and home work, I was getting up early and going to bed late. I was falling behind in classes. I had no time to break pattern. Needless to say, I was living a pretty stressed life.
   I could find no relieve. The only time I could feel relaxed was during the late-night ping pong competitions that me and my dad would pursue. Even then I was pushing back the home work and the studies I should've been doing.
   There came a night, about mid-trimester, that I couldn't keep going. I could hardly take it all in. I couldn't sleep; the next days exams were keeping me up. At this point in my life, I would try and read from the Book of Mormon most every night and I would make sure to say my prayers. Due to the extreme schedule I had, those small but ever so important things got put on the back burner.
   I prayed to the Lord to help me. "Just help me Lord," I pleaded. A plea similar to that of Alma while in bondage,"O Lord, give us strength according to our faith which is in Christ." (Alma 14:26) At the closing of this prayer, I felt that I needed to read from the Book of Mormon. I picked up my Book of Mormon and fanned through the pages, slamming my finger down on a verse. It landed on 2 Nephi 31:20.
   "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."
   Never had a verse hit me as hard as this one did at this time. Feeling comforted, I slept well, pondering the verse. From that point on I took the advice given. I tried to have more love towards my friends. I prayed to God, assuring Him of my love. I started to do the little things again. Some call them the primary answers; read your scriptures, say your prayers, and go to church. Granted the last point I never stopped, I did put a renewed interest in learning from church.
   My schedule didn't change. I still woke up early and went to bed late, but for some reason it seemed to get easier. It took me a bit to realize that the Lord was helping me. I am so grateful for the strength of the Lord. We don't need to stress and we don't have worry how we'll get by. The Lord will help if you remember him through prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment